Shou-Sigi-Ban - a process of creating siding through burning the wood to preserve it.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shou-Sugi-Ban Siding

For me, Architecture is not only a career, but a passion.  It is a gratifying feeling to create spaces which are comfortable and enjoyable to live in. To that end, I am always reading articles about new products, or new ways to use products already on the market.

Today I came across an article about Shou-Sugi-Ban, which is a siding produced in Japan, that incorporates the process of burning wood to create a crust, which then produces a very durable, long lasting product with a dramatic look.  "Shou-Sugi-Ban" translates to "the burning of Japanese Cypress".  Different wood products produce different effects, depending on the type of wood being used.  I've added a link above, which illustrates the process and some end results.  I hope you find it interesting and possibly something you would be interested in using for your home design.

No comments: